Zachary Levi goes dark for ‘Heroes Reborn’ – National

Zachary Levi switches gears from playing the goofy star of Chuck to something much darker in his new thriller, Heroes Reborn.

The gregarious actor admits the role is a bit of a left turn for those familiar with the hero of his defunct beloved spy dramedy.

“The tone of these two shows is very different. In Chuck there was a lot of lightheartedness, there was a charm, there was a heart,” Levi said during a stop in Toronto to promote the series in June.

“And Heroes is a dark and complicated world and I play a dark and complicated guy.”

Since his cult NBC series left the air in 2012, Levi has tackled material on big and small screens including the stop-motion comedy Robot Chicken and the super-hero spectacle Thor: The Dark World, in which he played the warrior Fandral.

But Heroes Reborn arguably resets his career with his darkest role yet — his character Luke is a vigilante bent on exacting vengeance for the death of his son.

Show Trailer: Heroes Reborn

03:09

Show Trailer: Heroes Reborn

02:01

‘Heroes Reborn’ 1 of 6 television series recognized at TIFF

02:17

TIFF featuring TV series ‘Heroes Reborn’ in its high-profile lineup of programming

00:37

‘Heroes Reborn’ star Zachary Levi doesn’t understand how to get around Toronto effectively




Story continues below

杭州龙凤

Related

  • Amy Poehler’s Smart Girls movement wins the Emmys 2015 red carpet

  • TIFF 2015: Dev Patel admits he’s ‘a bit boring’

The show continues Tim Kring’s saga of ordinary people suddenly bestowed with superhuman abilities, introduced in the four-season Heroes.

Levi said the new story picks up five years later, with a war brewing between those with abilities and those without.

Jack Coleman reprises his role as HRG, a.k.a. Noah Bennet, while other returning characters include Greg Grunberg as Matt Parkman and Masi Oka as Hiro Nakamura.

New characters include the awkward teen Tommy, played by Robbie Kay, who learns of a new ability that terrifies him; and Tokyo’s quiet Miko, played by Kiki Sukezane, who is searching for her missing father while hiding an extraordinary secret.

Without detailing his own character’s arc, Levi noted this is a world where many regular humans are shaken by the fact their neighbours possess what could be dangerous powers.

“Lots of bad things are happening. Some people with powers abuse them and some people without abilities are afraid of them and fighting back.”

Heroes Reborn debuts Thursday on Global and NBC.

©2015The Canadian Press

VW Canada suspends sale of some models as emissions probe widens – National

Volkswagen Canada Inc. has suspended the sale of several models amid a U.S. investigation into whether the car-maker purposely rigged vehicles to trick emissions tests.

“Volkswagen Canada has issued a stop sale order for all vehicles affected by this issue,” a statement from VW Canada spokesperson Thomas Tetzlaff said.

Story continues below

杭州龙凤

Related

  • U.S. orders Volkswagen to recall almost 500,000 vehicles over emissions violations

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency alleged last week that the German car maker used software that allowed cars sold in the United States to release fewer smog-causing pollutants during tests than in real-world driving conditions.

The cars, built in the last seven years, include the Audi A3, VW Jetta, Beetle, Golf and Passat models.

Tetzlaff said the affected models in Canada carry the 2.0-litre TDI engine and pertain to Jetta vehicles made between 2009 through this year; Golf models between 2010 and this year; 2013 to 2015 Beetle models and Passets manufactured in 2012 and this year.

Models with that engine were sold both in Canada and the United States. The EPA alleges about 500,000 diesel cars in the United States contained the software.

“We will work with our colleagues at Volkswagen of America as well as our parent company in Germany to resolve this matter in the most timely fashion,” Tetzlaff said in an email message.

MORE: VW chief ‘deeply sorry’ for rigging cars to violate U.S. pollution laws

On Sunday, the CEO of Volkswagen apologized. “I personally am deeply sorry that we have broken the trust of our customers and the public,” Volkswagen chief Martin Winterkorn said in a statement. He said VW has ordered an investigation and promised that the company would co-operate with regulators.

The U.S. agency has ordered VW to fix the cars at its own expense but said individual car owners do not have to take any immediate action. VW also faces fines that could add up to billions of dollars. Volkswagen shares plummeted 20 per cent Monday in reaction to the controversy.

Industry analysts said the VW CEO also faces difficult questions himself in the coming days, particularly at a scheduled board meeting Friday.

“At the moment, I’d be surprised if Winterkorn can ride this out, but in Germany there’s often a slightly slower process in these matters,” said Christian Stadler, professor of strategic management at Warwick Business School.

Environmentally friendly

Volkswagen marketed the diesel-powered cars, which account for about 25 per cent of sales, as being better for the environment.

The EPA insisted that the violations do not pose any safety hazard and said the cars remain legal to drive and sell while Volkswagen comes up with a plan to recall and repair them. However, it said the cars pose a threat to public health.

The EPA also indicated the scale of the fines that could be imposed. It said the carmaker could be hit with up to $37,500 per vehicle for the violations — a total of more than $18 billion.

The California Air Resources Board is also investigating, while German authorities are looking into whether the company bent the rules there too.

“The auto manufacturers have to work closely with U.S. authorities to comprehensively clarify the matter,” Michael Schroeren, a spokesman for Germany’s environment ministry told reporters in Berlin. “We expect reliable information from the car manufacturers so that (German authorities) can check whether comparable manipulation has happened in Germany or Europe.”

— With files from Global News

Cristiano Ronaldo makes dream come true for refugee boy tripped by camerawoman – National

The son of the Syrian refugee tripped by a Hungarian journalist accompanied Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo onto the pitch before the team’s Spanish league game on Saturday.

Zaid Abdul Mohsen, accompanied by his father Osama and brother Mohammad, toured the Bernabeu stadium and had a kick-about on the pitch ahead of Real Madrid’s match against Granada.

Mohsen was captured on video carrying seven-year-old Zaid when Hungarian camerawoman Petra Laszlo tripped him and sent him tumbling to the ground in a field full of other migrants running from authorities near the Hungarian village of Roszke.

Images of him being tripped by the Hungarian journalist provoked outrage across the continent.

WATCH BELOW: See the original footage of Mohsen being tripped while carrying his young son Zaid which shocked Europe and the world

 

Story continues below

杭州龙凤

Related

  • Justin Trudeau says he would consider airlifting refugees from Syria

  • ‘No hope’ of family reunion, says Syrian refugee living in B.C.

  • Google reaches fundraising goal of €10M for refugee crisis

The family arrived in Germany last week exhausted from the long journey and the international spotlight that followed them after the tripping incident, but young Zaid still had the strength to open a broad smile and declare his love for soccer and his greatest idol: “Cristiano Ronaldo.”

After the incident in Hungary, Mohsen ended up in Germany, where media reports revealed he had been a soccer coach in Syria. That prompted a Spanish soccer academy to offer to rebuild his life.

The CENAFE school in the suburb off Getafe helped bring Mohsen to Spain and will give him a job and a place to live near its training facility.

“Hopefully this will serve as an example to the rest of Europe,” said school president Miguel Galan.

“We need to help these people.”

READ MORE: Syrian tripped by Hungarian journalist arrives in Madrid

Galan will now try to bring Mohsen’s wife and his other two children from a refugee camp in Turkey. Getafe authorities will also work to get the family legalized in Spain as soon as possible so Mohsen can start working as a coach. He and his family will also have to learn Spanish.

©2015The Associated Press

Demolition begins on Saint-Henri’s Tannery Village – Montreal

MONTREAL – The walls are coming down and bulldozers are moving in.

Demolition began this weekend at the Tannery Village in Saint-Henri, a week before excavation was set to finish.

READ MORE: Old settlement discovered at Turcot Interchange construction site

The 18th to 19th century village was discovered when work began on the new Turcot Interchange.

The site needed to be removed to install infrastructure, including a new sewage collector.

Municipal opposition councillors have come out insisting that the demolition was done quietly and with little warning.

READ MORE: Tannery Village vigil lights up Saint-Henri

There has been grassroots movement to save the site.

A candlelight vigil was held earlier this month when it was announced the site would be demolished.

Story continues below

杭州龙凤

Related

  • Tannery Village vigil lights up Saint-Henri

  • Old settlement discovered at Turcot Interchange construction site

  • Construction to start on Turcot Interchange

Transports Quebec told Global News they’ve been clear about the timeline.

READ MORE: Construction to start on Turcot Interchange

“We were very transparent with our communications and what we were planning on doing in this particular area,” said spokesperson Sarah Bensadoun.

“We had neighbourhood committees, we advised the population and we did several media interviews.”

About 150 boxes of artifacts were taken from the site to be catalogued and parts of the village still stand for the time being.

The $3.7 billion highway project is expected to be completed in 2020.

Man seriously injured in brazen daytime shooting in Forest Heights – Calgary

CALGARY – Police are investigating a brazen daytime shooting in the community of Forest Heights.

Officers were called to the 4500 block of 7 Avenue S.E. at around 9:15 a.m. on Monday for reports that a man had been shot.

EMS said a man in his 20s was rushed to hospital in potentially life-threatening condition. His condition was later upgraded to serious but stable, according to police.

Global News has learned the victim is Henry Le Nguyen. Le Nguyen is associated with high profile gang violence in Calgary.

Story continues below

杭州龙凤

One neighbour, who wished to remain anonymous, said Le Nguyen had been shot in the abdomen and foot.

“We heard the ‘pop, pop’ and then I saw him out my window banging on doors, asking people to let him in because he said he’d been shot,” she said.

“I held his hand, I was trying to give him comfort. He was having a hard time breathing.”

Another neighbour, Sandra Graval, was on the way to the grocery store when the shooting occurred.

“I live here, and you think you’re safe… but you’re not. I guess you’re not safe anywhere,” she said.

Witnesses describe hearing multiple shots fired.

“One shot woke me up first – and then there was a burst of four or five,” said a neighbour who didn’t wish to be identified. “So five or six shots.”

No other injuries were reported, however, some area residents were briefly evacuated after a stray bullet hit a gas line which began leaking. Police say the leak was contained quickly.

“There’s holes in the fences, there’s a hole in the gas metre,” said Duty Insp. Paul Magnus. “Rounds flying through the air in a neighborhood is never good for a community.”

Police have not yet released a description of the suspects.

Anyone with information on the incident is asked to contact police or call Crime Stoppers.

– With files from Sarah Offin, Carolyn Kury de Castillo and Nancy Hixt